Thursday, October 14, 2010
THE NEW YORK SALSA EXPLOSION 1968-1985
Strut are proud to be associated with the greatest and most important Latin American music label of them all, Fania. Tagged “the Latin Motown”, Fania is perhaps most famous for its recordings during the coming of age of salsa from the late ‘60s to the mid-‘80s, when Latin (often Cuban) dance formats like rumba, guaracha, mambo, son and cha cha fused with big band American jazz and the gritty punch of US R&B in the unique melting pot of New York.
Strut begin their programmed of Fania albums with the first in the Fania Essential Recordings series, tracing the development of the many styles that matured on the label from Latin soul to salsa and boogaloo. The first instalment, Salsa Explosion, provides an essential introduction to the classic Fania sound through some of the label’s major artists including Celia Cruz, Mongo Santamaria, Willie Colon, Hector Lav
In joining forces with Fania, the undisputed powerhouse of Latin music labels, Strut hopes to bring a new set of fans into the fold. Salsa Explosion is a wonderful introduction into the vast sea of classic and influential music in the Fania catalog, touching on many of the separate styles that make up the salsa movement. Strut is proud to offer the collection with completely new artwork, liner notes from Latin music afficionado Ernesto Lechner, and a wealth of previously unpublished photos.
LOUIE RAMIREZ - AHORA ES EL TIEMPO
1. WILLIE COLON – CHE CHE COLE
2. HECTOR LAVOE – EL TODOPODEROSO
3. MONGO SANTAMARIA – O MI SHANGO
4. TITO PUENTE & CELIA CRUZ – PACHITO ECHE
5. JOE CUBA SEXTET – DO YOU FEEL IT (TU LO SIENTES)
6. CELIA CRUZ & JOHNNY PACHECO – CUCALA
7. FANIA ALL STARS – MAMA GUELA
8. RALFI PAGAN – BROTHER, WHERE ARE YOU?
9. EDDIE PALMIERI – BILONGO
10. TITO PUENTE & AZUQUITA – GUAGUANCO ARSENIO
11. LA SONORA PONCENA – BOMBA CARAMBOMBA
12. RAY BARRETTO – EL NUEVO BARRETTO
13. LOUIE RAMIREZ – AHORA ES EL TIEMPO
14. RAFI VAL Y LA DIFERENTE – A MI NENA
15. WILLIE COLON & HECTOR LAVOE – TODO TIENE SU FINAL