Thursday, February 5, 2009

CAN THIS BE TRUE, DIDDY CALLING OUT CLUB DJ'S






















Diddy doesn’t like the game right now. Not Game the rapper — the rap game. He’s going to experiment heavily on his new LP and thinks his peers should get onboard with his thinking.

“Right now, I’m working on my record, and it’ll be out in the end of summer,” he told us recently in NYC. “It’s feeling good. It’s different. I’m creating a new sound. It doesn’t sound like anybody else’s stuff out there. With that comes a risk. I’m excited about the risk. I do have a beef a little bit with the game right now. I think hip-hop has lost its risk-taking quality. Everybody goes to the comfort zone. It doesn’t have that risk anymore. You’re not like, ‘What is that?’ when you hear that record anymore.”

Mr. Combs said the record-spinners are as much to blame as the people making the music.

“People have figured out the formula when they make records for radio, and DJs ain’t DJs no more,” he declared. “DJs don’t break records no more. DJs don’t play album cuts. DJs play what is going to move the crowd. DJs, they don’t expose you to the newness. That was the DJs’ thing. Hip-hop is in a recession also. It’s not dead, it’s definitely way better than where it was at, as far as with ‘Ye, T.I. and with Jeezy. It’s so much great stuff out there, the responsibility has to come with the DJs. I’m about to call the DJs out. ‘Cause they are the future, and they gotta step it up. I can’t keep turning on the radio no matter where I’m at and can’t tell who’s who.

“DJs used to have a style,” Puff continued. “The hottest DJ in the game right now is Q-Tip. That right there is a DJ playing, taking you on a mind-travelling experience. Playing something and you’re like, ‘What’s that?’ ” …

No comments: